Gayatri Vidya Parishad College of Engineering for Women, came into existence in the year 2008.The college is a self-financed engineering institution approved by AICTE, New Delhi and affiliated to Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Kakinada (JNTUK). The College is situated in a 8.25 acre heavily secured campus protected by a good compound wall with electrical fencing. The college is located on Chennai-Kolkata National Highway at Kommadi, Madhurawada, Visakhapatnam (13 kms from Visakhapatnam Airport and 10 Km from Railway Station) Andhra Pradesh.
The promoting body of the college is Gayatri Vidya Parishad (GVP), a pioneering Educational Society founded and registered on 28th September 1988 with a view to serving the cause of higher education by an ardent group of erudite academicians, and industrialists. Late Prof. B.Sarvewswara Rao, Former Prof. of Economics, Andhra University, Economic Advisor to Government of East Nigeria and former Vice-Chancellor of Acharya Nagarjuna University was the founder President of the GVP (1989-2005). Dr.B.Swamy, a former member of Medical Council of India and former Vice Chancellor, Acharya Nagarjuna University succeeded him as the President of the Society(2005-2009). The present President of the society is Prof.Dr.Ing.P.Srinivasa Rao,FNAE, Former Dean of Academic Affairs, in IIT Madras who has taken over as President of the society in September, 2019.
Gayatri Vidya Parishad College of Engineering for Women started initially with four undergraduate programs (Computer Science Engineering (90 intake), Electronics and Communication Engineering (90 intake), Biomedical Engineering (60 intake), Information Technology (60 intake) and a total intake of 300. The strength increased to 360 in 2009.In 2011, Under graduate Program in Electronics engineering with an intake of 60 was added together with a Post graduate Program in ECE Department with specialization in VLSI DESIGN and Embedded Systems with an intake of 18 was added. Due to low admissions in the UG program of BME, the program was discontinued. In the year 2020, a under graduate program in the Department of CSE with Specialization in AI &ML and a PG program in CSE(Data Science) was started. In the year 2019, the Department of ECE, CSE, IT were accredited by the National Board of Accreditation up to the year 2022.
- Progressive Management and dedicated faculty with good experience.
- Well-equipped laboratories and library.
- Relatively 10%-15% of the students in the qualifying entrance examination (EAMCET) opt for the college.
- Education ERP software for quicker access to academic information and details.
- A dedicated Learning Management System over the ICT enabled teaching learning process d supported by innovative practices.
- Good support for Professional development activities including research.
- Industry sponsored Labs and Consulting Projects is minimal.
- Success in attracting diverse talent from other states is limited.
- Academic flexibility in introduction of new courses is limited.(Affiliated College)
- Placement in core sector is limited.
- Low aspiration level among students and faculty towards entrepreneurship.
- Publication in highly indexed journals is low.
- To attain academic flexibility by obtaining autonomous status.
- Enhance the research profile of faculty in terms of Publications.
- Research Centres in Departments.
- Enhance Academics-Industry Partnership.
- Avail more funding opportunities for community projects.
- State regulated tution fee and admissions.
- Heterogeneous demand among different branches of Engineering.
- Attracting faculty from IITs and promoting diversity.
- Accommodation for faculty in Campus.
- Good ranking by Government Agencies.
Institutional preparedness for NEP
1. Multidisciplinary/ Interdisciplinary:
The vision of National Education Policy is to provide quality education on global standards with diversity for all curriculum and pedagogy with technological innovations in teaching-learning process. At present the institution is dependent on affiliating university for innovative and flexible curriculum. The University (JNTUK) has initiated steps in the direction of NEP and offers community engagement service, environmental education. The institution at present promote interdisciplinary project based learning for II,III year students but are not credit based. In addition the Mathematical Sciences Club promotes STEM based activities.
2. Academic bank of credits (ABC):
The University has initiated measures towards academic bank of credits; however, it is in its initial stages. The institution has not registered under ABC, it is only the University that can register to avail multiple entries and exit. Efforts are in progress for seamless collaboration in terms of research activities with institutes of higher learning. In terms of pedagogical approach towards material and text book, assignment the learning management system is adopted and utilized to provide some flexibility.
3. Skill development:
Institution has initiated efforts for skill development by aligning with AP Skill development corporation for the conduct of skill courses. The development of humanistic, ethical, constitutional and Universal Human Values in the student is promoted by conducting guest lectures and conducting workshops. Blended mode of learning is also adopted. Basic skilling is encouraged through association with www.ncs.gov.in, industries and training institutes empanelled by the government.
4. Appropriate Integration of Indian Knowledge system (teaching in Indian Language, culture, using course):
Teaching of Indian Knowledge System into the curriculum has been initiated by the affiliating University and is being followed. In addition Sanskrit learning has already been promoted in association with Rastriya Sanskrit Samsthan. Indian arts and culture is being encouraged by conducting different festivals and organising traditional days.
5. Focus on Outcome based education (OBE):
The affiliating University has developed a good strategy to transform its curriculum towards OBE and the institutions is adopting it in totality. The institution has developed some good practices towards OBE by having well defined Program Educational Objectives, Program Specific Outcomes and Course Outcomes for the programs and courses. In addition all the students are assessed as per the OBE model.
6. Distance education/online education:
Distance education has not been initiated for the engineering courses offered by the affiliating university and as such the institute has no such provision. The college has all the necessary infrastructure and necessary tools to offer online education and this was extremely useful during the Covid-19 pandemic. The institute was highly successful in offering online classes through a myriad of online platforms such as Zoom, Google meet, Microsoft teams, Code Tantra.
NAAC Criteria Wise Summary
Criteria 1: Curricular Aspects
- Gayatri Vidya Parishad College of Engineering for Women (GVPCEW), Vishakhapatnam is affiliated to JNTUK, Kakinada and follows in totality the curriculum prescribed by the University. The institute offers five UG programs and two PG program.
- The curriculum is revised by the University; ones in three years keeping in view the current trends of national needs like the Development of appropriate Technology, Entrepreneurial Skill Development, Environment, and Sustainability, etc.
- The Institute has perspective planning for effective implementation of the curriculum by following an academic calendar that has been prepared in line with the University academic calendar.
- The Institution has always been open and flexible in encouraging the teachers to adopt ICT in classroom teaching and modern pedagogical techniques for enhancing the teaching-learning experience.
- The Institute in association with the Training and Placement Cell and Industry Institute Partnership Cell (IIPC) of the college initiates steps for providing Industrial Internships to the students during Summer Vacation and/or Semester breaks. The students are also allowed to visit the industry of their choice.
- As a part of the curriculum, Students undertake project works. They are advised to take up mini projects and participate in various competitions like Hackathons, Hardware Expos, Technical conferences, and workshops.
- To ensure continuous evaluation and improvement of the curriculum and its delivery processes, the institute collects feedback both from the students and faculty. A proper record of collected feedback is maintained and analysed further for necessary actions.
Criteria 2: Teaching- Learning and Evaluation
- The thrust of education is " Teaching and Learning" necessary for the holistic development of student. The college adopts students centric learning and experimental learning as its corner stone in academic process. The academic process caters to diverse range of learners. The academic plans, study materials and links to advanced material is made available to all the students through the Learning Management System (LMS). The LMS is cloud based and 24X7 for self-learning also.
- Staff are encouraged to undertake research activity and to enhance their academic qualifications. Staff are deputed on QIP (Quality Improvement Program) basis for higher studies as per guidelines of AICTE. The teacher student ratio is 1:20. The assessment of the students are carried out through assignments, quizzes, descriptive examinations and the Mentors, class teachers monitor the progress of the student and counsel them for their overall development.
- Conducting Orientation programmes for the first-year/lateral entry students familiarize them with the facilities available at the Institute and its procedures to adopt them.
- The institute has a perfect feedback system for all the stakeholders and corrective measures are initiated based on the salient features of the feedback.
- The evaluation system is transparent and fair and adopts the guidelines of outcome-based education. The stratification of learners and steps to bring slow learners on par with the fast learners to enhance their skills are available. All efforts are taken to ensure that Teaching-Learning process is up to the standards.
Criteria 3: Research, Innovations and Extension
- GVP College of Engineering for Women promotes research and innovation among its faculty by creating a suitable eco-system. Faculty participation in research is given top priority and are encouraged by motivating them to publish good quality research papers, attend conferences/seminars and write proposals for research. Financial support/incentive is provided to faculty to attend conferences and for publishing papers in SCI/SCIE indexed journals.
- Research forums have been constituted in every department to help researchers understand the research methodologies and promote publication of research results. The institute innovation council, recognized by MHRD promotes innovation, creativity and entrepreneurship among the students and faculty.
- The students and faculty are involved in extension activities in the neighbourhood through the NSS unit and the Eco-tech club. They conduct and participate in blood donation camps, donate, serve and provide help to orphans, old people and the needy villagers. Some of the activities have received recognition.
Criteria 4: Infrastructure and Learning Resources
- Gayatri Vidya Parishad College of Engineering for Women surrounded by Eastern Ghats is located in a serene valley spread over more than five acres of area with very good infrastructural facilities, e-class rooms, and well equipped laboratories for better academic excellence in engineering education to empower the Women.
- The Institute runs all the programs with 26 classrooms, 4 e- classrooms, more than 40 Laboratories and 2 Seminar Halls which have a good ambience and well equipped ICT facilities.
- The Central Library is well equipped with more than 20000 books, around 60 print Journals and e – resources with remote access to IEEE Journals and DELNET. It covers a carpet area of 425 Sq. meters. with a seating capacity for 150 persons. All the services and functions of the library are fully automated using Bees ERP Campus software version 2.0.
- The Institute provides more than 535 computers with a high speed internet bandwidth capacity of 80 Mbps dedicated OFC leased lines and 10Mbps NMEICT leased line separately for Digital library. Recently an industry sponsored 500Mbps line has been added. There are ample number of Wi-Fi access points in the campus.
- A regular Assistant Physical education director and Yoga trainer are available in the institute. The indoor and outdoor facilities are good and help cater to the all the students of the college. Regular staff are also employed for the maintenance of lawns, Sports grounds and other infrastructure facilities of the college.
Criteria 5 : Student Support and Progression
- GVP College of Engineering for Women has a good mechanism to address the differential requirements of the students with respect to curricular, co-curricular and extra-curricular activities. The induction programs help them understand the ‘code of conduct’, teaching- learning facilities and indicates them to the rigor and labour expected from them. The different support facilities of the institute include different committees, professional clubs, student associations and training and placement cell. The student progression is monitored through academic committee in coordination with the examination section. The different clubs ensure the participation of students in extra curricular activities. The alumni engagement is brought about through the alumni association in coordination with the department coordinators.
Criteria 6: Governance, Leadership and Management
- The administrative system of the Institute is effectively decentralized for good governance. The Governance of the institution is strictly in accordance with the Vision and Mission statements. The crucial decisions are taken by the Governing body which includes the Chairman and the Secretary. The Principal together with the Vice-principal and Heads of the Departments administer the entire system.
- The Institute focuses on participative management at all levels. For effective implementation of the policies of the Institution, it has set up various administrative bodies. The Institute has also adopted a well systematised e-governance mechanism in its day-to-day academic and admistrative activities.
- The Institute follows a perspective plan of action, which helps to streamline various processes like evaluating methodologies of the teaching-learning process, research progress of the faculty and good infrastructural facilities to the students.
- The image of any institution is determined by the quality of its faculty, their research and academic achievements. Hence, an effective performance management system plays an important role in promoting the objectives of the institution in an efficient manner.
- The good governance of an institute always emphasises the welfare of its employees. To such an extent, the institution is implementing the effective and productive welfare measures for both its teaching and non-teaching staff.
Criteria7: Institutional Values and Best Practices
- The institution has its own value systems & beliefs and gives utmost importance and ensures that all the actions are in compliance with the philosophy. The core values and beliefs of GVPCEW are internalized among all the stakeholders with the true spirit of acceptance. All the staff and students of the institution exhibit their concurrence with values in the way they execute their responsibilities.
- The institution evolves and embraces the best practices in all possible dimensions of the regular functioning of the institute. The following are the domains where the best and distinct practices are being implemented towards realizing the Vision and Mission
The institution strives to evolve best practices in the above domains. In addition, the quest for excellence is being continuously maintained to evolve new ideas and strategies in line with the Vision and Mission of the institute.
- Academic planning, delivery and monitoring
- Alignment of the curriculum design, delivery and assessment in accordance with OBE
- Student support services
- Faculty Appraisal and development with well laid out human resource policies and procedures.
- Environmental protection towards sustainability
- Process driven participative management
The college is committed to women empowerment with value-based education. The institute has put in the best practices over the years to develop into an acclaimed centre of learning. Some of the credentials in recent years are:
- Recently the ECE dept. has bagged a consultancy project from Electronics and Radar Development Establishment, DRDO, Bangalore.
- A start-up e-RS retrofitting services floated by faculty of EEE Dept. has been selected by AP innovation society for funding under APS-Tide 2.0
- A team of first year students from the new branch CSE(AIML) won a cash prize of Rs One Lakh in Accenture AI Hackathon 2021.
- Under the CSR initiative DXC technolgies provided 16 Computers and Peripheral to College.
The institute is guided by the words of our Former President Dr.Abdul Kalam " Excellence happens not by accident. It is a process". The college is evolving and embracing the best practices to ensure that the capacities of inquiry, creativity, entrepreneurial and moral attitude are built in the students. A steady progress towards realizing the vision of the institute through the planned mission is evident in the profile of the college.